Saturday, September 19, 2009

People Are Still Buying

As Clients Become More Particular; a sales person must stay savvy.

Everyday I make between 20-30 sales calls on leads I have found through various sources. I may actually connect with five people who have the authority to make a decision, a buyer. Of those five calls, three to four of those buyers are trying to end the call as quickly as possible and one or two may actually engage in a conversation. The important thing to remember is that you must try to capture a sale on every connection, and not allow yourself to think everyone is not buying today.

When I was in retail I received tons of training in sales, and it seemed like everyone wanted to try to reinvent the wheel on how to sell to a customer. Yet, when the training was completed and I began to practice the methods taught, it always came back to the same principles.
• Acknowledge the customer,
• Ask how you can help,
• Listen to what they say,
• Read nonverbal cues,
• Offer a solution,
• And close the sale.

Yes, customers are more educated on products or services then ever before, but these principles still apply no matter how little or how much the customer knows about the product or service you are selling. Customers do not want to be sold, they want to buy. If a sales person stays to these principles they can avoid coming across as pushy or as someone pitching the latest must have kitchen gadget. Now keep in mind closing a sale does not always mean that you convinced the customer to buy today. Do not consider the call a failure if you hang up without an order. However, you have failed, if you have a great conversation with a decision maker and you end the calling saying "okay well I'll call back in a month or two". Why are you calling back in a month or two? Towards the end of the call a sales person should have received some information about the customer's need or interest in buying now or in the future, or should have been clued in on what is best next step to take towards getting the sale.

If you say, "I'll call back in a month or two." What you are really saying to the customer is that you are going to call them again and try to sell them again. Now when the customer hears your voice on the line they know you are making a SALES call. It is like giving them permission to say, "I still don't need anything, but thanks for calling." This is not the relationship you want with your customer. I suggest you tell the customer what you are going to do next and give them a reason to look forward to your next call.

Here is an example:
"Okay, well I understand you do not have a need now, so I am going to send you my card in the mail for you to keep on file. What is the address I should send that to or do you prefer email? Great, well I'll get that over to you quickly, then I'll call back next week to make sure you received it. You don't have anymore questions for me, do you? Okay, well when I check back next week maybe we can talk about meeting in person, of course call me if something changes before then, bye!"

In this example I stated what I was going to do next: I am going to send him or her my card/information, and then I am calling back to make sure he or she received it. And, I also gave my next call a purpose; it is to discuss the possibility of meeting each other. Now my customer knows when I call back, I am calling to learn more about him or her or their business and whether they realize it or not it’s a sales call, but it doesn’t feel like a SALES call.

Back to Basics
Right now, people are fearful and sales people have been demoralized by the down economy. I think its better not to try to reinvent the wheel, in order to reenergize yourself or sales team. Instead, use the wheel (make sure you are practicing the principles) if not, keep them in front of you and start a new habit (put the rubber to the road). If you or your sales team are facing difficulties go back to these principles, it’s what we should have been doing all along.

If you are interested in tips on selling in a down economy I recommend visiting http://ezinearticles.com/?7-Tips-For-Selling-in-a-Down-Economy&id=1710811 for seven quick tips. These tips are good to follow whether the economy is in a recession or customers are flooding through your doors.

No comments:

Post a Comment